Friday 21 June 2013

Friday I'm in love

With it being Friday (Happy Friday!), I have picked 'Friday I'm in Love' by The Cure.  It was released in 1992 and became a worldwide hit, reaching No.6 in the UK and No.18 in America.

It says on Wikipedia:

During the writing process, Robert Smith became convinced that he had inadvertently stolen the chord progression from somewhere, and this led him to a state of paranoia where he called everyone he could think of and played the song for them, asking if they heard the song before. None of them had, and Robert realized that the melody was indeed his.


I wonder what made him paranoid?...

The Video for 'Friday I'm in Love' won MTV's European Viewer's Choice for Best Music Video in the same year it was released. You can watch the video and listen to the song here

I'm not crazy about The Cure, but I do like this song. My favourite is 'Close To Me'.

For some reason when I was younger, I remember the video for this scared me, it was always on MTV too. Am I being silly?


Do you like The Cure and can you think of any other songs with 'Friday in the title?


Have a lovely weekend!

11 comments:

  1. What an interesting fact about Robert Smith. The song has a pretty catchy chorus, I can sort of see how he thought he had heard it before.

    The only other Friday song I can think of is that recent Katy Perry one. Hmmmm...

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. Your fave song is the better song.

    ReplyDelete
  3. checking in to say hello & that I LOVE this song! I'm almost embarrassed to say that I like a lot of songs and don't know who they're by - and I'm overly-dependent on high school/university students to keep me updated when it comes to music. Going to check out the cure now. Happy Summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many songs i like that i dont know who sang them. When i hear a song i like now, i make a note of it then look for it when i get home, i always find them. Glad to have been able to reintroduce you to The Cure, happy listening x

      Delete
  4. Is there not also Friday Night by Lily Allen? I love the Cure song...not a big fan of the Cure tho, therefore i can't think of another song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dont know many lily allen songs, her baby voice annoys me. Her dad is cool though. I heard another Cure song yesterday i like but ive forgotten it already! short term memory x

      Delete